Monday, April 19, 2010

I'll Just Keep Praying

A touching post over at Adoptive Dads:

“Dear God,

Please help Shawn find a family soon – one where he will have a brother and sister, and maybe even a pet or two. Help his new family to treat him well and to be patient with him as he heals from his past hurts. Help him to do well in school and to make lots of friends.

I love you Jesus, Amen.”

This is the prayer that my 8 year old, Grant, prayed last night. He, along with lots of other kids at IBC (our church), is praying for children in foster care. Not just children generally – he’s praying for specific kids. Last night was Shawn. Tonight he will pray for Ian and Cheyenne.

After he finished praying I scratched his back and sang his favorite song, Amazing Grace – first and last stanza, just like I learned it in the Baptist church growing up. Then Grant rolled over and looked at me. I couldn’t tell if there were tears in his eyes, or if he was just really tired. He said, “Daddy, I am going to pray for Shawn until he gets his family. How long will that be?”

Shawn is eight years old, and I know the statistics all too well. I didn’t want to answer. “Hopefully not too much longer,” I said.

“Will it be next week?” he asked.

“No, probably not,” I replied.

“Ok. I’ll just keep praying,” he said.

Shouldn’t we all.

Read the whole thing...

No comments: