Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Birdies Flew

I was reminded this morning of the fact that even though I am saved, yet I still sin.  An incident happened this morning that reminded me of that simple, yet important fact. 

I was driving into work, and I happened upon a vehicle that had an Icthus fish on its bumper.  You know, one of those little silver guys that says "Jesus" on it.  They were in the next lane over.  I didn't think much about it, but for some reason, the fact that this blue vehicle had one of these little fish on it made an impression on me. 

Traffic in that lane slowed down a bit, but after a minute or two, it picked up a little.  As I drove past this vehicle again, I noticed that the driver was proudly (and with apparently extreme anger) displaying a bird in my direction.  They then slammed the vehicle into my lane directly behind me.  I can only assume that the bird was directed at me (as well as the anger) because I unknowingly prevented them from occupying the spot in my lane that I had just occupied.  Within a few minutes, they had passed around me again, and were gone.

If nothing else, this was a reminder that even though I am saved, I am extremely prone to sin.  Putting a fish on my car doesn't save me, Christ does.

I don't have a fish on my car.  And, it's not because I drive and flip people off all the time.  I've never done that.  But, I think the main reason that I don't have one on my car is the fact that it doesn't sufficiently explain to a non-believer that they are a sinner who deserves the wrath of God, but that they can be saved from that wrath by putting their faith in Christ.

I know this isn't specifically about adoption, but I wanted to write this down.  Thanks for reading!

No comments: